2014 Charger Rules *updated 3/18/14*
Charger - 2014 Rules
Car numbers must be painted in a minimum of 24" high numerals on side panels and on the roof in a contrasting color. All lettering must be in good taste.
ANY PART OR ASSEMBLY DEEMED TO BE ILLEGAL BY THE TECH MAN IS SUBJECT TO CONFISCATION
A. COMPETING MODELS - Competition open to 1965 to 2005 models of American manufactured hardtop rear wheel drive passenger car frames with a minimum wheel base of 107 inches. Wheel base must be stock for chassis used. Body must be an approved, unaltered OEM body and centered over wheel wells (front to rear and side to side). Body, frame and engine make must match. May use any other rear wheel drive body or 1988-to present front wheel drive, two door body, on any 108 inch or longer wheelbase full frame Note: Body sides may be fabricated using steel but must be stock appearing. No Camaros, firebirds, mustangs, or any pony type car (sports car). Any other leaf spring car is eligible as long as it meets the other rules of this division.
1. All seating, carpeting, flammable materials must be removed. Driver compartment must be completely sealed off from engine compartment and trunk compartment with steel.
2. Must have stock, or completely stock appearing steel body panels. No panels or bracing can be removed.
3. Hood and trunk latches must be removed and car must be equipped with properly installed hood pins. Hoods and trunk lid bracing may be removed.
4. Doors must be welded or bolted. Doors may be gutted.
5. The stock steel floor pan, fire walls, trunk floor MUST BE RETAINED.
6. No part of the tire can protrude past the body of the car. Fenders cannot be flared. Body cannot be wider than outside edge of tire by more than two inches.
7. Headlights, taillights, and molding must be removed. No outside mirrors.
8. Fiberglass or plastic nose pieces and tail pieces are legal. No Camaro or dirt style noses. No additional spoilers, air dams or fins allowed.
9. A complete set of approved roll bars are required in driver's compartment. Round steel 1 3/4 inch seamless bars are compulsory. Roll bars must be welded. Must have foot bar approved by officials. Hoop bar may be installed (Front and Rear).
10. All cars must have windshields, back glass is optional. All other glass must be removed.
11. Take-off steering wheels permitted.
12. No two-way communication, radios or cell phones (push-to-talk) allowed in cars. 13. Car must have a front and rear hook/loop for wrecker to lift by.
14. Radiators must be mounted in front of engine.
15. Tread width may not exceed 70 ¾ inches when measured at the rear outside edge of the wheel tire bead mounting lip at spindle height.
B. SUSPENSION - Absolutely stock.
1. Stock type upper and lower control arms only. Absolutely no moving or replacing suspension or spring mounts or cutting any cross-members.
2. Stock trailing arms only.
3. Spring adjusters allowed on front only.
4. Minimum 6 inch ride height on frame and body must be maintained. Right side of car cannot be higher than one inch of left side height when measured at the outermost part of the frame rails. 4 inch minimum clearance on exhaust pipes.
7. Spindles must be stock type.
8. All steering components forward of the firewall must be stock or stock replacement for make and model.
9. No steering quickeners.
10. Front shocks must be mounted in stock location and all shocks must be non-rebuildable, non-adjustable with a steel body and shaft. Shocks are subject to a $50 per shock claim by the driver finishing no more than one position behind claimed driver.
C. TIRES AND WHEELS
1. Racing wheels with 8 inch maximum width permitted on left and right side.
2. All wheels must have the same offset.
3. No aluminum or magnesium wheels allowed.
4. No bleeders allowed.
5. Large diameter lug nuts allowed.
6.Two wheel locations may use a steel spacer not exceeding ¼ inch in width each.
7. Tires will be from Towell City Tires and have an 8 inch wide tread and a 15 inch wheel diameter. These tires must be purchased through Greenville-Pickens Speedway. No softening of tires.
1. Engine must be mounted so that the forward most spark plug is no further rearward than the front left upper ball joint.
2. Maximum cubic inch—GM 350 .060 over; Ford 351 .060 over; Dodge 360 .060 over
3. Heads - OEM cast iron only. No aftermarket heads, 54 cc minimum combustion chamber size. No grinding, porting or polishing. No machining into the bowl beyond the guide boss. Guide boss may not be altered.
4. Maximum valve sizes; intake 1.94 inches, exhaust 1.50 inches. Valves must be stock length with .340 max stem diameter and may not be undercut.
5. Camshafts- Stock type hydraulic flat tappet camshafts only.
6. Lift at valve- Intake .410 Exhaust .410
7. Stock or stock replacement hydraulic flat tappets only.
8. Stock or stock replacement rocker arms only. Screw in studs and guide plates allowed. Lock style adjuster nuts allowed.
9. Stock or stock size valve springs, retainers, and locks only. No beehive springs.
10. Stock forged or cast steel cranks only. Stock stroke only. Must not be lightened or modified in any way.
11. Stock appearing steel connecting rods only. Rod length must be stock for engine.
12. Flat top pistons only. Pistons may not come above deck surface.
13. Carburetors must be stock for make and model. 2 or 4 barrel permitted. No modifications. No dual line Holley carbs.
14. Any stock OEM intake manifold or Edelbrock Performer Intake is legal. The Performer RPM is NOT legal. The intake cannot be modified in any way.
15. The air cleaner cannot be bigger than 4 inches high x 14 inches across and must be in the correct location.
16. Stock or stock replacement electronic or point style distributors only. No MSD or other aftermarket ignition components. FIRING ORDER: must be stock for the engine
17. No headers allowed. No Corvette “rams horn” manifolds. No crossover pipes or merge collectors. Exhaust must exit car behind driver.
18. The track has right to check engine and/or confiscate any part found to be illegal. Refusal to check engine will result in engine being declared illegal.
a. Note: GM crate engine (Part#8858602) is optional. Carburetor allowed is (Part#80541 Model#4150HP) Holley 650 cfm HP series. No carburetor spacer permitted. Carburetor is to remain stock out of box. Only change that can be made is to the power valve and jets. All crate engines must run an H.E.I. type ignition. One (1) piece open hole paper gasket maximum 0.065 inch thickness that matches the exterior dimensions of the carburetor throttle base plate must be installed between the carburetor and intake manifold, with no air leaks. The crate engine must be purchased and picked up through Greenville-Pickens Speedway.
E. FUEL SYSTEM
1. Must have racing fuel cell enclosed in a steel container not to exceed 12 gallons and must be securely mounted and adequately protected.
2. No electric fuel pumps. Fuel pump must be mounted in original location on engine.
3. If the fuel supply line is routed through driver compartment it must be of braided steel construction or be routed through metal tubing and must be securely fastened. The metal tubing must be painted red and be clearly marked “fuel line do not cut”
4. Fuel cell cannot be lower than rear frame rails.
F. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
1. Batteries may be located in original position or may be moved to heater box location. It must be securely fastened and separated from driver’s compartment.
1. All cars must have stock type transmission either automatic or manual.
a. Automatic transmissions must have full size, functioning stock or stock replacement torque convertor. No modifications to any part of the transmission or convertor. No powerglides. Any coolers must be in stock location.
b. Manual transmissions must be stock 3 or 4 speed transmissions with all working gears. Ratios must be stock ratios that were produced by the manufacturer. Flywheels must be steel and weigh no less than 26 pounds. Stock type clutch disc and pressure plate only. No lite weight clutch components. Clutch disc must have a minimum diameter of 10.5 inches. Must be equipped with a steel explosion proof bellhousing.
2. Stock type driveshaft for make and model. Must be no smaller than 2.5 inch diameter and must be made of steel. Driveshaft must be painted white. Car must have drive shaft loop mounted securely within 10 inches of the front of the driveshaft.
3. Rear Ends must be stock type and match make of car. No floater hubs. No positive traction, no locking differential, no excessive shimming, ……anything that causes both rear wheels to pull will be disqualified.
1. Must have 4 wheel working brakes.
2. All brake components must be stock or stock replacement for make and model.
3. No rear disc brakes.
1. Approved aluminum racing seat, seat belts and shoulder harness are required. Must be properly mounted.
2. Fire suit required and fire extinguisher must be mounted within reach of driver.
3. Must have Snell SA-05 (or newer) approved helmet.
4. A NASCAR approved nylon window screen must be used on driver's side and fold down.
1. Minimum weight of 3200 pounds with a right side minimum weight of at least 45% of total. Cars with 602 crate engine may have minimum weight of at least 3,000 pounds after race with driver. Right side minimum weight must be at least 45% of total.
2. All added weight must be in block form not less than five pounds per piece.
3. All weight must be painted white, have car number on it and be securely fastened.